Re: How can I test "squid" ?

OoO En ce début de soirée du mercredi 03 juillet 2002, vers 21:15,
Markus Grunwald <markus.grunwald@gmx.de> disait:

> I tried to configure my squid proxy so that it caches as much as
> possible. I want to save some online time this way.

> Unfortunately, it does not seem to work: If I try to load a site that I
> i visited when I am offline again, it can't be found... Besides, the
> cache dir /var/spool/squid grows only very little - if at all...

Squid is not designed to work offline. The problem is that when you
request a page which is in cache but which has been fetched some time
ago, Squid checks that the page didn't change. Moreover, Squid
respects instructions of the web server about caching (including no
caching at all).

As stated in another post, you will have better luck with wwwoffle
which is especially designed for this. However, if you want to use
Squid, there is an offline mode which disables checks against
recentness. See your squid.conf and search "offline_mode".
--
Make the coupling between modules visible.
            - The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)