Re: Need web server recommendation

David De Graff writes:
>If you really want to change web servers instead of fixing a mail config
>issue...here are some options.
>
>http://www.boa.org/
>
>http://caudium.net/
>
>http://oedipus.sourceforge.net/medusa/
>
>http://zope.org/
>
>And the mail issue isn't between you and Linux, it's between you and the
>Apache list admins. Their setup sounds pretty standard.

David,

I never once had a mail problem when I was running Windows.  Not once did I have
a letter I sent bounce back to me with the recipients MTA stating that it was a
spam letter.  I was never banned from a list because my email address didn't
match the username@canonical.name of my machine.  This is a *nix problem.

There's nothing wrong with my mail setup.  I have an 8 IP subnet with static IP
addresses that all resolve.  Every letter I send out can easily be traced back to
the respective machine it originated from by either machine name or IP address.
My setup handles several thousand email letters a week for several hundred
clients that I have.

The problem is that Apache is still living in the 70's when Unix was dominant
and each person's email address was determined by their username @
machine.name.  Today we live in a virtual world.  My primary virtual email
address, which I use both here and on the road, is glen@fcwm.org.  The way
Apache is set up I can only access their list from one machine, and I have to be
logged in as a specific user and use Kmail.  That is totally ludicrous.  I
frequently travel between Minnesota and Florida, plus I have several boxes here
that I may log in on.  Apache's geriatric approach to mail alone makes me wonder
if they're qualified to put out a modern web server.  You can't be that out of
touch with reality regarding how people currently use email, and put out a web
server that's going to meet the need of the average web surfer.

If that doesn't work for you, try this one:

You and a competitor are trying to gain the same customer.  Your product
forces the client to change their configuration to do it your way.  Your
competitor's product will fit into their existing scheme with only minor
modifications, allowing them to keep the same setup.  Who do you think they'll
go with?

Apache's setup is self-defeating for the following reasons:

1) They have no official support

2) Their users list is made up of end users.  Developers "may" be on the list,
but we're told not to expect any help from them.

3) To access the users list, which again has no stated experts on it, which
means it's unlikely that I'll get any real help, I have to always post from one
specific machine logged in as the user they have me listed under, and I have to
use Kmail to get around the spam filter.

Total waste of time.

I need a web server whose developers live in the real world.

Glen