Re: nmap little sense if run on yourself?

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 02:49:08PM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
| Is it true that nmap makes little sense if you run it to check the
| machine it is running on?

It makes little sense IF you want to see what some arbitrary host on
the outside network would see.

I have different rules for different interfaces (lo, eth0, eth1) and
each one also has some host-based exceptions.  For lo, everything is
allowed.  If I run 'nmap localhost' I'll get a list of every listening
service (including spamd, postgres and ldap) even though they are not
accessible from the outside world.  If I run nmap from some random
host on the internet (eg school) you'll only get ssh, smtp, and http
access (and ESTABLISHED and RELATED stuff, eg if I make a request out
or if I use IRC DCC which is all per-host anyways).  (actually, some
nimbda/codered hosts won't get a darn thing)  If I run nmap from a
host on the LAN here, I'll get access to ldap and postgres in addition
to ssh, smtp and http.  If I run nmap on my external interface from
certain locally controlled hosts on the same subnet I'll get access to
some of those "extra" services as well.

With a ruleset like mine, there is no single location from which the
port scan can be done to get conclusive information.  Actually,
'iptables -L' and 'iptables -t nat -L' is the truly conclusive source
for that information.

-D

--

You have heard the saying that if you put a thousand monkeys in a room with a
thousand typewriters and waited long enough, eventually you would have a room

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/