ethertap (+ diald)

so debian's diald uses ethertap, and my (custom) kernel has TUN/TAP
support built in. but apparently, this doesn't suffice, or i am doing
something wrong anyhow. here's what the log says on diald startup:

diald[30857]: SLIP not supported by kernel, can't build proxy.
diald[30857]: Unable to get a proxy interface. Manual control only.

interesting that SLIP is referenced again (which is in fact disabled).

anyway, i am currently compiling the obsoleted ETHERTAP module into
the kernel, so this may get it working. but that would leave me with
an open question still:

does TUN/TAP really replace ETHERTAP? supposedly you are to
  mknod /dev/net/tun c 200 10

and then open it for reading to make /dev/tap? and /dev/tun? work. but
in all cases, i can't get it to work.

is there a good primer out there, or someone willing to explain to me
how to employ TUN/TAP? and possibly how to make diald play with it?

last year, out in california, at a pc users group, there was a demo of
smart speech recognition software. before the demonstrator could begin
his demo, a voice called out from the audience: "format c, return.
yes, return." a short demo it was.