Re: Grub and win98 boot record

Barry Michels declaimed:
> From: "paul" <paul@mackinney.net>
> > The sys command will install msdos.sys, io.sys, and command.com to the
> > partition. It will not fix the mbr and it will mess up the win98
> > install. It's intended to make bootable floppies, if you do it to the C:
> > drive then the C: drive will only boot into the command prompt & you'll
> > have to reinstall windows unless you know some tricks.
>
> IIRC, the 'trick' isn't all that 'tricky'.  After running 'sys c:', just
> edit MSDOS.SYS and change BootGUI = 0 to BootGUI = 1

You're right, it's not that hard. But the MSDOS.SYS copied from the boot
floppy doesn't have this stuff, or the line with the path to the Windows
folder. So you have to go looking for an MSDOS.BAK file or something
that can be edited and pressed into service (or copy one from another
Windows computer)

Here's looking forward to the day we can forget this stuff :-)

PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net