Re: last try: still trying to make an emergency rescue floppy

Scott Henson wrote:
On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 13:57, vanillicat wrote:

I'm trying to make an emergency rescue floppy that will be capable of
booting my system in the event something happens when booting from the
MBR.  The idea is to get the same floppy that the installer asks if you
want to create during the installation, as an alternate way of booting
into Debian.

Hmm... If you are asking for something to boot your computer in the
event that your MBR gets messed up, but the rest of your file system is
still intact, then I would put grub onto a floppy.  Assuming you still
have a kernel on the file system and it can boot itself and everything,
grub should work just fine on a floppy. apt-get install grub grub-docs
and then go over to /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/html/ to get all the
documentation. Grub is available in both sid and woody.
Now if you are asking about an actual rescue floppy that can boot your
computer, you can get them one of two ways.  You can get the original
install disks(rescue and root) rescue should be able to boot your
current install with the right parameters passed to it.  Then when you
install a kernel-package make by make-kpkg it asks you if you want to
make a rescue disk. This is also possible to get.

Have you tried cd /usr/src/linux insert a floppy and then type
make bzdisk
If you are using lilo it is quite easy to create a lilo boot disk
Let me know if you are using lilo...If you are using grub then goto here

Regards
  Ted Wager
   Libranet Linux user