Re: Making a bootable rescue CD from a rescue floppy disk

ThanhVu Nguyen declaimed:
> The problem is my Motherboard and the IDe controller, it refused to
> boot from either the floppy drive or the Hard drive, it only can boot
> via the CD rom. I do not know how to fix this, it is always like this
> eversince I bought the Ide controller.
Regarding the core problem, some tips:

1. You have to be able to boot from a floppy, this is a basic sanity
   check of a functioning PC expcept in very special cases. If the ide
	 card has the only floppy controller, you need to configure it properly
	 (either move jumpers or use software, probably by booting from a
	 dos-based utility floppy) and also make sure that the BIOS is set up
	 properly to allow booting from the floppy drive. If you have more
	 than one floppy controller, especially if they're on different
	 devices, then try hooking the floppy drive up to each one.

	 Also, make sure that the floppy is working. A very common mistake
	 is to connect the floppy connector upside down. In this case the
	 floppy drive light typically stays on all the time.

2. Your hard drive should be the master of its ide channel. If you only
   have one ide channel (hard drive & cdrom are on the same ribbon
	 cable) then the hard drive should be the master. This will probably
	 prevent you from booting from the cdrom, so fix the floppy boot
	 situation first. Much better if the boot hard drive and the cdrom are
	 each masters of seperate ide buses.

I hope this helps, if you have more questions please give more info
about the motherboard & ide controller.

PM
--
Paul Mackinney      |   Life is not worth living without
paul@mackinney.net  |   a pair of needle-nosed pliers.