Re: should I try ext3 filesystems even though barely documented?

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 05:59:07AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> What is this I hear about "ext3" filesystems, is it worth the change
> for junior home user me, and mainly, on woody, I do
> $ apropos ext2
> $ apropos ext3
> and notice that there's a lot documents that don't even mention ext3
> yet, ... worrisome.

ext3 is only an extension to ext2 which adds journalling, so there's
not much difference. You can even mount and use an ext3 filesystem as
ext2 if it was unmounted properly. The journal itself is simply a
special file (under certain circumstances visible as .journal in the
root directory of the filesystem).

So, in easy words: you don't have to worry about a lack of
documentation, in most cases everything will work fine (recover being
an exception)

greetings,

Stephen Rueger