Re: Automatic dist-upgrade for security update

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 11:29:54AM -0700, Jean-Michel Besnard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a way to notice the admin when a package has to be updated.
>
> I was thinking about a script that would apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade --simulate |mail root@foobar every hour if dist-upgrade --simulate
> had an output different  than : 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.

Besides reading debian-security I added `apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade -dy' to my cron.daily, so the new packages are already
on the machine if I want to install them, and I notice if there are
any new ones. Not perfect, of course, but this is all I need.

Regards,
Martin