Re: What pkgs need to be installed to use "make html_docs"?

> >BTW, how DO you get the error messages to print to a file? As I mentioned
> >above, I only got the successful parts of the run in the file I pointed to;
> >once the errors started, the file ended, it seems.
>
> Using the redirection 2> whatwentwrong.err will send stderr to the named
> file.

> texi2html some.texi some.html 2>> error.file
>
> I'm new to this redirection stuff, and I have no clue to the syntax for
> texi2html.  I'm sure someone will jump in with the straight poop.

The shell '2>' redirects only the error output.  You won't see any of
the normal output that came just before it.  So if the program says 'I
am doing to create file A' and then 'Error: Could not open file' then
all you would see in the errors is 'Error: Could not open file' and
would have no clue as to what file it was writing.

So usually you want both standard output and standard error in your
log file.  The idiom is to redirect standard output first, then
redirect standard error to be the same place and the first
redirection.

  texi2html some.texi some.html > error.file 2>&1

I know that looks a little strange but first part '> error.file'
certainly looks like it will go to a file.  The '2>&1' part says send
'2' (error output) to the same place as '1' (standard output).  The
order is important so do it just like that.

> It may be that you create the file "touch errorfile.name", then
> concatenate with 2>>errorfile.name will work better.
> touch error.file

You don't need to touch the file.  The shell will create the file for
you automatically.

Bob