Re: Gnome 2 Window List Applet misbehaving - Partially solved!

On Sun, 2002-06-30 at 05:30, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I finally got a "working" Gnome 2 install (if this is working, I'd hate
> to see what they call "broken" :) and the window list applet is
> misbehaving on me. The maximum size seems to be completely irrelevant.
> Minimum changes the size of the applet, yet no matter how many programs
> I open up, it never expands at all, let alone reaches the maximum. Also,
> and this is much more of an annoyance, clicking on a window in the
> applet does NOT minimize it. I have to manually right-click on it and go
> to minimize.

After some searching around, I found that the culprit was, in fact,
sawfish. The problem stems from the fact that the act of clicking on the
button in the window list applet gives the focus to the panel. Since the
window to be minimized is no longer in focus, it doesn't get minimized.

The solution is to go to Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> Sawfish ->
Matched Windows. Click "Add...", under "Matchers" select "Name" and set
it to "^gnome-panel$". Click the "Focus" tab under "Actions" and make
sure "Never focus" is checked. Hit "OK", restart gnome-panel, and
everything will be fine.

The problem of the applet not resizing still hasn't been resolved. I've
filed a bug report against it. Hopefully something will come up soon.

-Alex