Re: Comments on the new gnome-terminal.

begin  Steve Juranich  quotation:

> Last night, while I was doing my nightly 'apt-get dist-upgrade', I caught the
> new gnome-terminal package (2.0).  I can't help but saying that I think it
> really stinks. :<

I got the new gnome-terminal yesterday too, but I haven't actually run
it yet. Thanks for the review.

I stopped using gnome-terminal 1.x some months back because it had a
habit of dropping the first typed character when it was opened. The way
I have my desktop set up, I read mail by clicking on the mail icon in
gkrellm, which then opens a terminal window running mutt. I read the
mail, reply if needed, then close that window. So I open new terminals
frequently, and the frequent-but-not-always dropping of the first
keystroke was annoying. So I switched to rxvt and have been quite happy
with it.

In fact, I've moved away from Gnome as an environment in many ways. I
still use gdm, but I don't have it start up a Gnome session anymore; I
just have it execute ~/.Xsession, which starts up a non-Gnome wm
(fluxbox), loads a few dockapps, and opens an rxvt window. I still use a
number of Gnome apps (Dia, Abiword, Gnumeric, ...) but having all those
app servers, orbs, and whatnot running just to have gnome-panel seemed
like a waste. I'll probably give Gnome 2 a try once the whole mass of it
hits unstable.

Craig