RE: Mail Server

Well... here's a nice "user story" about qmail...

I recently had a client who was getting belted with M$ Exchange upgrade
fee's, they also had issues trying to administer Exchange and keep it
running
(if you've worked with Exchange over the years, you know what I'm talking
about, it can be very unstable and somewhat problematic when your running
it on a server that is loaded with other *stuff*--it also requires SQL
Server!).

They looked into switching, but had issues because they had 2300 mailboxes,
and felt that they were really tied into Exchange and couldn't.

The upgrade fee's alone I think were gonna run them $6000.00!!

Seeing the oportunity, I recommended them purchasing one of our
pre-installed
mail servers that we sell.  This is basically a Debian box with qmail and
some customized software (which we wrote).   I never told the IT VP it was
a Linux based machine, I just told him it was a "mail server appliance"!!!
He seemed to not balk when I said that. Heh.

The server we sell is also setup with iptables and various other wiz-bang
things to make it fairly hardened and functional.
Its also loaded with a web based mail client and a web based
administration system.  This was something that they HAD to have.
They balked at first, but I suggested a trial period for them... we moved
500
users over to the machine and had them try it for a month.  The whole
process
took about 3 hours to convert and get the box installed into their network,
and
most of that time was basically writing custom VB code to export the mailbox
and user information over to qmail-speak...  It was fairly straightforward.
They loved it, and basically cut me a check, and we moved the whole company
over to our "Mail Server Appliance".... They haven't looked back. They
saved themselves about $4000.00 annually.  Not bad.

g.