apt and packages from outside the distro

Hi, all.  I think I just need to RTFM but I don't know where.

As established at considerable length in another thread, I need to
install XFree86 4.2 on a woody machine.  I have lots of URL's for
mirrors of the version currently being tested, for example:

deb http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/xsf sid/i386 /

But when that line is added to my sources.list, I get this error from
'apt-get update':

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://www.phy.olemiss.edu
sid/i386// Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/www.phy.olemiss.edu_xsf_dists_sid_i386___binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)

Needless to say, the version of XFree that I get is still the one
included in the main woody archive.

So, what am I doing wrong or what document should I have read before I
tried this?  So far I've looked around at any apt documentation I can
find with a casual search, but I'm not finding anything about how to
manage packages from outside one's current distribution.

Thanks,
-mrj

--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #
      Reader!  Think not that