Re: SSH and compression

----- Original Message -----
From: <alwyn@smart.com.ph>
To: <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>; <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 10:28 PM
Subject: RE: SSH and compression

> I might be misguided but I find it interesting that compression seems to
> look for patterns
> in data in order to reduce the size, where as encryption's goal is to make
> the data
> devoid of all distinguishable patterns?

I guess the question becomes, what comes first?  If the data is compressed
first, then encryption shouldn't be any easier or harder.  If the data is
encrypted first, then compression shouldn't work very well since there's
probably less compressable patterns.  Or maybe I'm wrong and should go back
to lurking till a subject I do know about comes up...