RE: Replacement for X-Windows?

| I have an idea for a cool GUI that would be intuitive, if nothing
| else.  It
| would be based on a Doom interface, where you "walk" from directory to
| directory.  In each Directory, there would be a room.  In the
| back wall of the
| room (as you enter) would be the door to the parent directory.
| In the front
| wall of the room would be doors leading to subdirectories.  Along
| the front
| wall would also be filing cabinets (this could also be along the
| right or left
| walls).  The filing cabinets could have a graphical
| representation of all the
| files in that directory (subdirectories not included).  Along
| with the file
| cabinets would be a "metal" cabinet (new file), copier (copy file) and a
| shredder (wipe file).  There would also have to be a wall panel
| in each room
| that has shortcuts that are always available to the user.  To
| open a file, one
| merely has to access a file drawer (by "opening" it), then select
| their file
| (which goes in to their "inventory") and opening it.  This can bring up an
| associated application.  To copy a file, they take a file to the
| copier, place
| it on the machine, and press start, which produces another copy
| of the file in
| their inventory.  You can wipe the file by dropping it in to the
| shredder.
| You deselect a file by dropping it from your inventory (if you drop it in
| another directory "room," you just moved it!  So be careful!).
| If you have a
| copy of a file, you can place it in whatever room you want.  I
| don't know how
| to emulate a link ...

I believe that there was a hack to have DOOM as an interface for linux
processes.  All of the monsters were linux processes.  The only problem was
that the monsters would kill each other in the game and subsequently kill of
the processes.  I think all of the information is at
http://www.cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/

HTH,

Brooks