Using dynamic DNS through firewall

I'm using a Netgear RT314 gateway router to connect my small LAN to the
net via DSL.  This router has a built-in client for dyndns.org that I
could use.  Another option is to use a service such as ddts.org which
would require forwarding port 1052/udp through the firewall.

Are there any particular gotchas to either method?  Anything to
recommend one method over the other?  Or, is there another option or
three I should look at?

This may seem OT, but it is part of a larger question that is
Debian/Linux centric.:)

tnx,
--
gt
It is interesting to note that as one evil empire (generic) fell,