"File size limit exceeded" in mkfs

I'm running in to a weird problem when running mkfs on a 52 GB
filesystem.  If I run mkfs when logged in as root on the console, it
works.  The filesystem is created and everything is good.

However, when I tried mkfs in other situations, it failed.  The output
was:
debian:~# mkfs  /dev/sdh1
mke2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
6553600 inodes, 13107024 blocks
655351 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
400 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16384 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
        4096000, 7962624, 11239424

File size limit exceeded

This behavior is entirely reproducible.  It occurns when logged in via
ssh (either as root or as a user sued to root, or as a user with sudo).
If I log in on the console, either as root or as a user sued to root, it
works; I am able to create the filesystem.

This problem has been seen before.  The best explanation I've seen of it
is in http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2001-46/0998.html,
but no solution is included.

This is a potato system upgraded to kernel 2.4.17.  Has anybody seen
this before?  Is it fixed in woody?  I don't have a large disk that I
can sacrifice via mkfs in any of my woody systems.

noah