Re: BP6 + System hangs

<quote who="Jan Johansson">
> Not strictly a Debian question, more a general hardware issue, i know..
> but i gotta start somewhere.
>
> I have a BP6 with 2xCeleron 433. And it seems that justabout any heavy
> disk activity towards the disks on the HPT366 controller freezez the
> system up completely to the point of cold boot. Has anyone any thoughts
> on this?

im sure what im about to say won't be what you want to hear.

I purchased a BP6 at least 3? years ago, and had the same problems you
are now. I fought with it for over a year, adding cooling, trying
to underclock, tweaking kernels, etc, nothing worked.  turns out that
on at least one particular rev of the board it has a bad voltage
regulator(i think?) which caused it to crash in dual cpu mode(at random).
Even with the system completely idle it would randomly crash. other times
it would run for hours as i thrashed on it and not even hiccup.
I poured more money into power supplies, cooling, then I would of
if i had bought a real motherboard with real dual P2/P3.

http://www.snurgle.org/~griffon/bp6-linux.html

that talks about it to some extent.

sounds like your board is affected, see this:

http://bp6.gamesquad.net/Q6fix.phtml

for a possible fix. be warned though its not easy, i cannot do it
so i asked a friend who is more experienced with that kinda stuff
to do it and we fried the board doing it(it would boot then a few
seconds later would shut off on its own). i'm so glad to be rid
of that piece of shit motherboard. next day i went out and purchased
a p3-800 and Asus CUV4X and never had a lockup again.

worst piece of hardware i ever had.

you could probably dig up other comments by me on the BP6 over
the past couple years, this board has left a big black mark
in my soul.

we have several BP6s at my office for testing(they got them before
i started), must be a different rev because i've never heard of
the people complain that they crash and they run 24/7. I wouldn't
use one ever again even if it was one of the "good" ones.

good luck if you try to fix it, if it were me i would throw the
board away, and use the processors elsewhere or sell the processors
(what i did) and get a new one.

nate