Re: xdm serving x-terminal: success?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 04:34:48PM -0500, Donald R. Spoon wrote with possible deletions:

Hi Don,

> The only other thing I can
> suggest is to check any EXTERNAL (to X) firewall (ipchains or iptables)
> rulesets between the "client" and the "server"

There are no firewall rulesets between the two boxes. Even
'X -query localhost' on the server produces the same error message.

What I found out so far is that simply replacing the xdm binary on the
server with a copy from potato (xfree 3.3.6) works. Another workaround is to
create a file /etx/Xn.hosts (where n is the display number) on the client
containing the server's hostname but this is ugly too.

> BTW, I have experimented with XDM, KDM, and GDM and have finally settled
> on GDM here.

Yes, GDM was working out of the box. But I don't like to install 17
packages to get my display manager working. I'll keep on trying ...

Best regards and thanks for your answer,
  Denny