Re: Netscape vs Mozilla irritation

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 04:17:46PM +0200, Helgi Örn wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 15:52, René Seindal wrote:
> >
> > I too have both installed, but if I start mozilla first and then
> > netscape (without --no-remote), then the netscape wrapper script talks
> > to mozilla and it opens a new mozilla window.  With the --no-remote
> > option to the netscape wrapper script the test for an already running
> > netscape/mozilla is skipped and you get a new instance of netscape
> > started.
> >
> > There is no problem in having both installed, and you can run both at
> > the same time too, but they can interfere with each other.
> >
> That's interesting. But what is -remote thing for and what for example
> if I'd choose to put use_ns_remote=yes in the wrapper script to no?

Netscape is a rather large process, and by having the same process open
more windows a lot of memory is saved, compared to having different
processes with one window each.  There are also some problems about
updating bookmarks and other user profile data if several processes
change the data at the same time.

The remote protocol solves that problem.  Even if you call netscape
another time, you still reuse the same process and hence save memory.

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)              http://www.seindal.dk/rene/