Re: OpenSSH-potato

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 02:17:57PM +0200, Bruynooghe Floris wrote:
> Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> >

> > Now when I try a X stuff on a remote host,
> > I guess the message "Error: Can't open display:"
> > whereas everything was fin before the update.
>
> I've read through the thread until now, but ain't it a bit more simple?
> As I understand you want to have a window on your local screen from an
> other host.  Since I understand the host can't open your display I would
> try something like:
>
> $ xhost+

On a properly configured debian system (ie not badly reconfigured), this
will have no effect (fortunately).

> This might be not very secure, but if it works you know where to

s/might be not very secure/is completly unsecure/

> search.  It means your machine does not allow the host (or perhaps
> anyone else) to display a window on your screen.

Yes his host does not allow the remote system to display a window on his screen.
That's why he wants to use the X forwarding feature of SSH to achieve his
goal in a secure manner. When forwarded the X connection appears as a
local one to the X server and thus does not require specific privilege.

Christophe