Re: g++ 2.96 on debian?

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 21:06:37 -0500, Arun Madhurmohan wrote:
> I use debian linux at home and redhat linux (unfortunately) at work.
> Redhat comes with g++ 2.96

That isn't a formal gcc release; see http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html .
(There are dissenting opinions as to its usefulness though, like
http://www.bero.org/gcc296.html)

> and that's what I use at work.

You have my sympathy.

> I can't find an equivalent version of g++ on debian.

That's because Debian tries to stick as closely as is reasonably possible to
official gcc releases. "2.96" (of which there appear to be many versions
which are difficult to distinguish) has a lot of issues; it has e.g. been
known to build gnumeric binaries which produced extremely inaccurate
results; gnumeric's CVS version (and some other software as well AFAIK) has
been changed to refuse compilation with "2.96".

Your best option is to go for 3.1.

HTH,
Ray
--
Linux is many, many years away from being an enterprise-ready operating
system that can compete with, and challenge, the Windows platform. There is