RE: g++ 2.96 on debian?

On 25-Jun-2002 Arun Madhurmohan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use debian linux at home and redhat linux (unfortunately) at work.
> Redhat comes with g++ 2.96 and that's what I use at work. I can't find an
> equivalent version of g++ on debian. I would prefer to work with the same
> version of g++ at home and work. Could someone point me to a g++ 2.96
> (x86) package if there is one? Even a source package would do.

2.95.3 was the last real release.  RH's 2.96 is almost the same as our 2.95.4
(and neither were actually released by the FSF or GCC group).

You are actually better off trying to move to 3.1.  It works (or soon will) on
all of the architectures Linux works on.  Debian is moving to this, everyone is
moving.  Several Linux architectures can ONLY compile binaries with 3.1.