Re: PAM not working reliably

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 16:39, Paul Johnson wrote:

> So why is it if I have /etc/shadow owned by root:shadow, group has read
> access, and mail in the shadow group, exim can't authenticate through
> PAM.  If I chown /etc/shadow to root:mail, it works...WTF?

PAM (running at the user level exim is running at) cannot read the
/etc/shadow file. Put the user exim is running at, as a member of group
shadow (edit /etc/group and add the username after the last : on the
shadow entry line).

Restart exim and PAM running at that userlevel should be able to read
shadow.

Personally I don't use shadow auth and have PAM set to authenticate
against a remote server, so there's none of those permission problems.

If this is a bad idea, someone post to the list (fooling with
/etc/shadow's permissions is always a bad idea)

Crispin