Re: ssh update or upgrade required? which is it? [now restricting ssh]

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 07:32:45PM -0700, justin cunningham wrote:
> If I wanted to restrict ssh to only listen for my office's ip until it
> gets patched how do I do this?  I tried editing sshd_config and putting
> my office ip as the listenaddress but it didn't work.  What did I do
> incorrectly?

Debian's sshd knows about libwrap, so you can block people out like so:

/etc/hosts.deny:
sshd: ALL

/etc/hosts.allow:
sshd: hosts_that_you_want_to_be_able_to_connect

Now, whether this stops the exploit that Theo's bragging about, who knows?
No one knows the particulars of it yet. :(

It's probably a good idea to always be restricting who can connect to those
you WANT to be connecting, in any case.

You could also do it with ipchains/iptables, and only let the IP's through
that you wanted through.

--
Marc Wilson
msw@cox.net