Re: Centralized /etc/passwd ?

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 13:47, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Paladin (paladin@paladin.dhis.org) [020624 11:38]:
> > Is it possible to have a centralized /etc/passwd (plus all necessary
> > MD5 password files) as well as the home directories in a network?
>
> What you're looking for is NIS. Start out by reading the HOWTO:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=nis+howto&btnI=I

I've heard that NIS isn't very robust.  Might LDAP be a better
choice?  Or is there an important integration between NIS & NFS?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net         |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81     |
| "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea   |
|  which could only have originated in California."           |
|  --Edsger Dijkstra                                          |