ide-scsi puzzle (for me, anyway)

I recently migrated from 2.2.x to 2.4.18 kernel. I'm running Woody. I have
a CD reader and a separate CD reader/burner. The both were working before
the migration. After the migration the CD reader would not mount known good
CDs. I fixed this by changing the line in fstab for /cdrom to specify a SCSI
device. In the process of investigating, I tried to set up CD reading on the
burner. To to this I had to specify /dev/scr1. So I got everything working,...
But lilo.conf contained

append="hdd=ide-scsi"

and no mention of hdc. So, on a lark, I commented out the above append and
reran lilo and rebooted. Both CD drives continued to work, and both drives
appear as SCSI devices when I run

cdrecord --scanbus

e.g.
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
	0,0,0	  0) '        ' '50X CD-ROM      ' '2.2B' Removable CD-ROM
	0,1,0	  1) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 9300 ' '1.0b' Removable CD-ROM
	0,2,0	  2) *
	0,3,0	  3) *
	0,4,0	  4) *
	0,5,0	  5) *
	0,6,0	  6) *
	0,7,0	  7) *

Where does the 2.4.18 kernel get the info to map these ide devices to scsi?
Is this story believeable to the experts? Or what might I be doing wrong in
investigating this? Since, both drives seem to work, is it safe to just leave
this problem expecting that they will continue to work through future upgrades
of the software? I think the change in CD drive support happened when I
moved to kernel 2.4.18, because I can't think of anything else I have done,
but maybe there is an entirely different cause. Any ideas?

And is the warning about the wrong size for CD capabilities page important? How
can this be fixed? I don't think I had this message the last time I was working
with the burner.

Thanks.

--
Paul E Condon