Re: sound card question

On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 21:18, John Smith wrote:
> Right now, I'm using a creative vibra sb16, and it's working fine.  However,
> I can't have more than one sound playing without getting a device or resource
> busy error.  So I'm wondering, what can I do to be able to play more than one
> sound at the same time (without esd or other sound daemons).  I know in
> Windows, it works fine when playing more than one sound.  Why doesn't it in
> Linux?

If I understand it right, you need to use the sound daemons (esd, alsa,
etc) for multiple sounds playing on one sound device.  The sound daemons
accomplish that task.  The sound daemon is the only program accessing
the sound device, which allows multiple sound programs to play through
it to the device.

Windows probably does something similar on the back end.

Jeremy