Re: exim smtp auth with PAM

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 06:04:55PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
| * Rainer Ellinger (rainer@ellinger.de) [020622 01:06]:
| > Is there anybody out there having exim (woody) running with smtp auth
| > based on PAM (pam_unix.so)? It seems not to be possible without
| > recompiling exim, using a special pam_exim.so or some other hacks.
|
| I have exim 3.35-1 working with PAM, but not specifically pam_unix . Is
| the trouble specific to that module?

Yes.

| That would be surprising; if exim talks to PAM, it shouldn't care
| (or even be aware, really) of the underlying PAM modules in place.

Exim isn't, but the PAM module itself realizes that it can't read
/etc/shadow, and thus can't ascertain that any given user/password
combo is correct.  Thus, as far as exim is concerned, the combo is
wrong.

See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg03782.html

-D

--

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
        Philippians 4:13

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/