Re: exim, auth, pam, solutions

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 05:12:38PM -0700, Mike Mimic wrote:

| > Here are some solutions to the problem :
| >
| > 1)  Make /etc/shadow readable by the 'mail' user.
|
| I have chosen this solution and I have now trivial
| question. How can I make shadow file readable by mail
| user, too

Add the user 'mail' to the group 'shadow'.  On my system, I noticed
that /etc/shadow's group was 'shadow' and it was group-readable.

| I have temporary set it to world readable and now AUTH
| works with exim emulation (exim with -bh swtich)
| where I send \0user\0pass base64 encoded string.

Right :-).

| But it doesn't work with Pegasus Mail.

Install 'tcpflow' and watch what is sent through the socket.  You can
pipe it through 'base64-decode' to see what it sends as the
user/password.

(oh, BTW, when I set it up on the server here it will support Pegasus
Mail.  That's a given.)

| Does anybody knows what are proper positions of
| username and password in that string

Nope :-).

| (is 2,3 or 1,2)?

That's what tcpflow should help determine.  Actually, an easier way
would be to run
    exim -d9
instead of the usual initscript and watch the output on your shell.

| And "server prompt" should be:
|
| server_prompts = "Username:::Password::" (as Vineet post)
|
| or
|
| server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::" (as ther is
| in example in exim.conf)

Are the quotes really there?  If not, then I don't think there's any
difference in those other than readability.  This is also equivalent :
    server_prompts = <, Username: , Password:

(read the spec on lists to find out why)

HTH,
-D

--

If your life is a hard drive,