Re: 3c589c network card (pcmcia) goes pear shaped

Klaus Ade Johnstad wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Damian Sweeney wrote:

eth0: lost link beat       #when connection is lost
eth0: flipped to 10baseT   #after connection is restored

I se this on my terminal when I log on, but it's not a problem.

Anyone have any tips on how I can find out more about the problem?
Anyone with similar card that works/doesn't work?  Where to from here?

I've used it both with static and dhcp ip.

Mine works like a charm, I've used it in 4 different laptops, 2xdell,
compaq and toshiba. I've used other pcmcia and cardbus card, but this is
the one that I know will not let me down.

Klaus

GnuPG v1.0.6 Fingerprint = 67E6 1D18 B2C4 4F8A 3DA3  5C6D 849F 9F5F 26FA 477D
	            Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics

Thanks Klaus and Randy. So it seems that it's something to do with my setup. So how can I go about pinning down the problem? I have these parts compiled into my kernel:

CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
# CONFIG_I82092 is not set
CONFIG_I82365=y
# CONFIG_TCIC is not set

CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C589=m

(Before you ask, I had the same problem with these components compiled as modules).

Most of this module stuff is completely new and mysterious to me. Should I recompile these as modules so I can pass debug arguments as they are loaded, or is there another way to do it as they are? It's about time I learnt some of this stuff anyway, so point me at those howtos/guides/faqs/sites!

Thanks, and wish me luck ...

Damian.