3c589c network card (pcmcia) goes pear shaped

I have an annoying problem with my pcmcia card.  Regularly, but not
consistently, it drops the network connection.  There seems to be no
rhyme nor reason to this behaviour.  Sometimes I can download a woody
iso without a hitch, sometimes the connection doesn't last long enough
to gather my email.

System is as follows:
Debian woody with custom 2.4.18 kernel on i686 with Intel i82365 chipset
(although the same was true for potato and woody standard 2.2.* kernels)
All modules and packages are straight from woody (although I did try the
potato and sid versions of pcmcia-cs, with no change in behaviour).

Symptoms are as follows:
Plug in the card .. two beeps, then
Either the light flashes (no connection) or
the light stays on and the connection is successful, then
for no reason I can ascertain, the card opens the connection or drops
the connection and back again.  Time frames appear to be random and I
have found no assocaited activity on the machine to account for it.
Modules (incl. 3c589_cs) all load OK.

The only thing I can see in the logs is this:

eth0: lost link beat       #when connection is lost
eth0: flipped to 10baseT   #after connection is restored

The same card works like a charm on my partner's Win95 machine.

I found a post from about a year ago from someone who had a similar card
with the same problem.  I asked him if he resolved it and he said he
eventually gave up and switched that machine back to Windows.

Anyone have any tips on how I can find out more about the problem?
Anyone with similar card that works/doesn't work?  Where to from here?

TIA,

Damian