OT: Gateway ships boot disk on Secondary Chain

Somewhat off-topic, but folks here might want to be aware.

I just got a shipment of new Gateway brand computers. So far I've opened two boxes, and both boxes had the CD-ROM drive connected to the Primary IDE Master and the booting hard disk connected to the Secondary IDE Master.

Of course, that works fine with the new BIOSes, but I can't help but wonder why Gateway would choosed to "break" a "de facto" standard this way.

My conspiracy-type mindset immediately suspects Microsoft of pressuring Gateway to do this to throw an extra kink into the otherwise smooth installations of Linux that newbies by the thousands have been trying out lately. But then, I'm probably just nuts, and there's probably a legitimate business/technical reason for Gateway to do this.

Anyway, just wanted to let other users of Debian know in case they purchase Gateways, so they'd know they'll have to do a bit of tinkering with lilo.conf.

Kent