Re: Exim authentication

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 07:23:17PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
| On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 08:56:22PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
|
| > Is linux a system that requires root access to use PAM?  If so, then
| > pam can't be used directly by exim.  You can, however, use a different
| > lookup for users (eg look in a passwd file made just for exim, or use
| > LDAP or SQL or something else).
|
| If you can't use PAM to do this, then is there a way to copy out PAM
| data to an exim-compatible file?

Yeah, make a file (eg /etc/exim/passwd) such as

----
user:{md5}4528e6a7bb9341c36c425faf40ef32c3
----

(in this case, "user"'s password is "pass")

and use a variation on the sample authenticator created by eximconfig :

plain:
    driver = plaintext
    public_name = PLAIN
    server_condition = "${if crypteq{$2}{ ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/passwd}{$value}{*}} } {1}{0} }"
    server_set_id = $1

(this one is untested, but I did test a simple 'eq' and it worked)

Of course, one could always put login info in LDAP and use that
directly :-).  I was hoping exim could get to LDAP via PAM instead.
(at work we're moving the authentication away from NIS and into LDAP)

| > I hope PAM can be used on linux ... someone please tell me if root is
| > required.
|
| <AOL!>

I needed dict to figure this one out.  Definition #1 fits well, and is
amusing!

-D

--

Windows, hmmm, does it come with a GUI interface that works or just
pretty blue screens?

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/