Re: More modem problems with kernel 2.4.18

On Thursday 20 June 2002 07:36 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 04:54:25PM -0700, Seth Carbon wrote:
> > I have seen the light.  External good.  LEDs are *very helpful* for
> > diagnostics.
>
> Wouldn't that be, "I have seen the lights?"  8:o)
>
> See how much easier that was?  I hate internal modems because they're a
> pain to diagnose, they're typically of extremely poor quality of which
> price doesn't seem to play a factor in, and the last thing I want is a
> device I plug into a line I know goes to the top of telephone poles
> subject to lightning strikes slapped directly on my motherboard.
>
> Another advantage with externals is you have some hope of destroying the
> modem before the strike voltage goes on to the computer...

modems also generate heat; an external modem reduces the cooling load on the
system. on top of that, anything that, on breakage, demands that i take the
cover off the box just pisses me off for at least half a day. so, at least in
my case, that's two good reasons to use an external.

ben