Re: Replacing kernel packages via apt

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 12:58:21PM +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:

| I have built a patched kernel 2.4.18 with make-kpkg

| I used epochs,

Unnecessary.  Just make the version different (eg "custom.3").

| "apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18" insists that the installed
| 2.4.18-5 is the most recent one, and dselect also shows this
| version under "available".

| Any idea why? Of course I could use "dpkg -i" as a workaround, but
| I'd like to understand the problem.

The reason is that you haven't put your package in a repository that
apt can query.  You would need to make a directory laid out like the
pools on http.us.debian.org and have a suitable Packages.gz file and
include that in your sources.list.  Using "dpkg -i" is the correct way
to install your custom packages, unless you really want to go through
the effort of creating a repository for apt.  In fact, all apt does is
invoke "dpkg -i" after first downloading the .deb from the repository
(and resolving dependencies and stuff like that).

-D

--

Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut!

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/