Re: Need advice on best SMP mainboard for Debian

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 07:19:59PM -0800, Christopher Swingley wrote:
> * Derek Gladding <derek_gladding@altavista.net> [2002-Jun-19 15:46
> * AKDT]:
> > > I am seriously considering the Tyan S2460 Dual AMD board. Any
> > > comments are appreciated. If you feel this is off topic please reply
> > > anyway off the list. Thanks!
> >
> > I'm running mixed Woody/Sid, home-cooked 2.4.18 kernel on a Tyan dual
> > Athlon MP setup (S2460 mobo or very similar), Not had a single problem
> > so far, box runs very sweet, very fast, and very stable. For the work
> > I'm doing, this particular mobo/CPU setup is at the sweet spot for
> > performance/dollar. (YMMV of course, but I'd recommend it as a good
> > setup for a high-end dev/simulation/crunching box).
>
> Make sure you've got very clean power, excellent cooling, and a good
> high-wattage power supply.  I've had trouble with most of the dual
> Tyan boards shutting themselves down or worse, frying themselves.
> Putting the machines in a climate controlled room (65 degrees) on
> conditioned power has been the only solution.
>
> I've found the dual Pentium boards to be more stable and less finicky,
> and I'll probably buy those from now on after the trouble I've had
> with Tyan dual Athlon chipsets.

I've been using an Abit VP6 for about a year and a half now with no
problems. It's limited to Coppermine chips, so there are definitely
better bargains out there, but it seems to be stable as a rock. I've
read several opinions that the RAID chip should only be used as a second
IDE controller and not as a RAID controller. I plan to set up a software
RAID 5 sometime in the next year and see how fast it is.

Actually, I've never had a problem with an Abit board.
--
Nick