Re: What is happening to testing/unstable?

On 20 Jun 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 11:50:58AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > On 20 Jun 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Run 'dselect update'.
> >
> > Many thanks; that seems to have fixed it!
> >
> > Isn't it supposed to be run automatically by apt-get?
>
> No; 'dselect update' is a superset of 'apt-get update' (if dselect is
> configured to use the apt method, which is the default these days), not
> the other way round.
>
> Arguably it shouldn't be that way, but there are a number of complicated
> historical reasons.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

I'm not clear what you mean by a superset. In the past, running "apt-get
update" was enough to produce a list of things to be upgraded. Has
something changed? If we need to run "dselect update" as well, shouldn't
that be documented somewhere? (Perhaps it is but I haven't seen it.) I'm
now somewhat confused.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books on the Assassins and on homeopathy, skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]