Help: Network Printer Config

I've had to build a new kernel to get Debian to
recognize my Lan Card.  Now I'm missing the print
spooler commands, and there's no printcap file.

I've included printer support in the kernel,
necessitating including the parallel interface.  It
appears that during boot, parport sees that I actually
have no printer plugged in, and perhaps that's why the
printer commands don't appear.

In truth I don't have a local printer, but as I
understand it, I need the printer commands available
(lpr, etc) and a printcap file to be able to
communicate with a network printer.

How do I get the  right stuff into the kernel to
support a network printer, and how do I configure it.
I'm used to the "printtool" utility under RedHat that
helped me do this.

Thanks in advance.