Need to compile gphoto2 from CVS and install into packaging system

Hello!

Having just switched to Debian (woody) from SuSE 7.3, I recall that, under
SuSE, I had to download and compile the CVS snapshot of the gphoto2 digital
camera library to get my Canon PowerShot A40 digital camera recognizable
under Linux.  The version of gphoto2 that ships with SuSE 7.3 was an older
one that did not support the A40.  The version of gphoto2 in woody, not
surprisingly, also does not include support for the A40.  The version in
unstable doesn't either.

How can I download the gphoto2 source from CVS (cvs.gphoto.sourceforge.net),
compile, and debianize it so that it can then be installed by the packaging
system?

Thanks!

David Richmond
Beaverton, OR