Re: DMA errors on hard drive, but why?

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Sun, 2002-06-16 at 06:23, James Green wrote:
Hi all,

I've got two Maxtor IDE hard drives. They have been working fine, but since I moved them into drive caddies I've been getting the following messages in dmesg output for the second drive:
[snip]
What should I do to diagnose this fault? Many thanks.

Since all you say that you changed is putting them in caddies, take them out of the caddies and see if you still get the errors.
And then swap the drives in the caddies and then the racks. This gives 4 places for the failures: two caddies and two racks. Is the cabling configuration (primary/secondary and master/slave) the same as without the caddies? Of course there are several new places for connection problems even Rick's information.

Paul Scott