Re: Can't get audio to work

> > in effigy.  They won't blame Red Hat.  After all, it was my
> > decision to upgrade to 7.3.  Not Red Hat's.
>
> 	Glen, could I interest you in  apt-rpm  ?? It's a rather sweet
> package for your RH boxes.

No.  Downloading the rpms isn't the problem.  The constant upgrades are.
I need a stable operating system that allows me to upgrade individual
packages instead of requiring that I upgrade the whole box.  Red Hat
clearly doesn't meet that requirement.  Red Hat's problem is that
they've gone commercial.  In order to remain financially viable they
now *have* to regularly put out upgrades.

I have all the new 7.3 rpms on the hard drive.  Some installed.  Some
won't.  So have have a part 7.2, part 7.3 box with a lot of broken
programs.

> 	Ouch! But, you DO have help. :--)  My only request is "Purdy
> Please!, no html mail"

If I'm sending out html mail it's not by intent.

> 	lspci shows that yes, you DO have the sound chip on your motherboard
> and 'accessable". That's all. :--)  So, let's see. Can you look at
> "dmesg | less"   and see if you can see what it says about the
> initialization? THIS is where you'll see if the chipset was actually
> activated.

I see no reference in dmesg to anything audio, nor to IRQ 11, which is
where lspci -vv says audio is located.

Glen