Re: smc 8216c nic (was: Re: Debian Network Howto)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:33:07 +0200, Joris wrote:

>> I have an smc 8216C card.  On same system (dual boot), Windows98 finds
>> the card as strapped (io=0x300 irq=10).  Redhat 6.0 found it with the
>> smc-ultra driver.
>> After the fact, I found that on smc cards, sometimes the ne or wd
>> drivers work.  I'm unable to install any of them, ne, wd, or smc-ultra
>> (having installed the 8390 they depend upon).  This is with either
>> modprobe, or direct insmod with options io=0x300 irq=10.
>
>I had the same problem, with exact the same card. It seems the smc-ultra
>driver doesn't detect it anymore since the 2.2.xx kernel series. The
>reason RedHat 6 found it is its old 2.0 kernel, but as I wanted Debian
>and a more recent kernel, I swapped all my smc8216's for any other nic
>with different people that use windows anyway...

Recompile your kernel, then it will work.

I always had this problem since I have lots of 8216 cards, but after I
recompiled my kernel only including the drivers/modules I really need everything
was fine. Linux then DOES auto-detect the card very well!

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\