Re: fetchmail started at boot even for PPP users

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Mine does start up and I wish it wouldn't.  Were you depending on this
> as the check of if to start or not?

No.  If it is configured to run as a daemon, it will *by default* try to
start ad boot.

> be every minute or so if we set it that way, never thinking that it
> would also try to that off line.

Not everyone uses ppp.  People in local LANs will have a connection at boot
up.

> Well, that sort of feels like putting my fingers in the raw
> machinery.  Isn't there some more elegant way?

Welcome to Unix. What you call "putting my fingers in the raw machinery" is
actually the way you are supposed to configure the System V init script
stuff your Debian machine uses.

> Sounds like something that might get undone upon upgrades.  I mean

Debian is better than that. It will not be undone by upgrades.

> I think most debian tools notice files that users change, but not ones
> that don't exist.

"File is not there where we left it, the user must have removed it" is a
valid state for a conffile. The system will remember you removed the file,
and will not restore it.

> Anyway, I don't see the justification for starting it on boot, but all
> I know is my modem world.

People with all sort of permanent connections (including modem ones that are
started automatically at boot time) might prefer to have fetchmail start at
boot up.

BTW, unless you have configured fetchmail through the /etc/fetchmailrc file,
it will _not_ start at bootup. It will just annoy you with a message that it
is not configured, and let the system continue the boot in its merry way.

  Henrique Holschuh