Re: cannot run X apps when 'su'

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 04:22:55AM +0100, Nuno Silva wrote:
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| >On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 10:55:15PM -0400, ttv wrote:
| >| Hi, when I su as root, I can't run X apps ...

| >Solution 2 :
| >    # cp ~user/.Xauthority ~/
| >
| >    Copy your normal user's .Xauthority file to root's home directory.
| >    That gives it the "magic" cookie showing the X server it has
| >    permission to connect.

| Hello,
| you shouldn just copy over .Xauth files.. It will ruin root X access ;)

What do you mean, "ruin root X access"?  What X access does root have
in the first place?  You certainly don't 'startx' as root in the first
place, do you?

| The Right Way(C) is:
| # xauth merge ~user/.Xauthority

Ahh, I knew 'xauth' was the Right tool, but I couldn't (quickly)
figure out how to use it :-).  'cp' I already know :-).

| ...and don't forget to set DISPLAY:
| export DISPLAY=:0

As always, unless 1) ssh takes care of it or 2) environment
inheritance is your friend (that is, it's already set properly).

-D

--

Be sure of this:  The wicked will not go unpunished,
but those who are righteous will go free.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/