Re: cannot run X apps when 'su'

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 10:55:15PM -0400, ttv wrote:
| Hi, when I su as root, I can't run X apps ...

Solution 1 :
    Don't "su -".  If you don't put the '-' on there, su will inherit
    the current process' environment and maintain xauth

Solution 2 :
    # cp ~user/.Xauthority ~/

    Copy your normal user's .Xauthority file to root's home directory.
    That gives it the "magic" cookie showing the X server it has
    permission to connect.

-D

Hello,
you shouldn just copy over .Xauth files.. It will ruin root X access ;)

The Right Way(C) is:
# xauth merge ~user/.Xauthority

...and don't forget to set DISPLAY:
export DISPLAY=:0