Re: Re: Unable to make Linux bootable from HD or make boot floppy

Hello again,

>> I am working on installing Debian 2.2r6 on a Packard Bell
>> Intel machine, which has a Pheonix BIOS, 23.0MB RAM,
>
>23MB RAM?  That's odd.  Is 1MB "stolen" for the video adapter?

It seems that the 23MB is just for Extended RAM; it's 24MB total for System, Extended, and Shadow RAM.

>> Hard Drive, a 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive, and a Matsushita
>>CD-ROM drive
[...]
>> When configuring device driver support, I install sbpcd for my
>> matsushita CD-ROM drive, and have tried also installing
>
>Are you sure the matsushita it plugged into the Sound Blaster
>card?

I haven't any idea if it's plugged into the Sound Blaster card. How would I find out?

>> linear, raid0, raid1, raid5 in hopes of helping the floppy drive,
>> but with no change in results. I then install the base system
>
>That's just flailing (but makes one feel good to "just do >something").

I suspected as much. Oh well; it was nice to know it didn't change things.

>> The drive was giving me problems before (rawrite2.exe gave >>me "general failure reading drive D" several times, but would
>>go
>
>Drive _D:_???  rawrite2.exe should be writing to A: or B:.

rawrite2.exe was writing to A:, D: was the CD it was reading from.

>>The partitions are
>> /hda1, which is 10MB at the beginning of the disk, a Primary >>linux
>> ex2 partition marked bootable and mounted as boot, /hda2, a
>> 30MB Primary linux ext2 partition which is root, and a 388MB
>> Linux Swap partition, also Primary.)
>
>This must be changed.  On a very small disk like this, try this:
>hda2: Primary ext2 48MB _at_the_end_of_the_disk_
>hda1: Primary swap Everything else, and make it bootable...

I've changed that as you recommended.

>Could the floppy drive be whacked after this long?

I doubt it's whacked; it seems to read perfectly well, and from what I can tell was also writing correctly.

I've now retried: I did everything the same as before, except with the new paritions. When I try "Make Bootable Directly from HD," there is again the LILO failure. When I try "Make boot floppy," however, I get something new. It goes to a black screen with white text, and says:

Formatting the floppy...
Measuring drive 0's raw capacity
warmup cycle: x 200xxx 200xxx [replaced by 'In order to avoid...' and the xs are numbers that change]
In order to avoid this time consuming measurement in the future, add the following line to /etc/driveprm:
drive0: deviation=720
CAUTION: This line is drive and controller specific, so it should be removed before a new drive 0 or floppy controller.

Formatting/Verifying Cylinder 1-80, head 0/1

After cylinder 80, it goes back to dbootstrap and shows me the "creating filesystem on the floppy..." message, and as before fails there, with the "Creation of the boot floppy failed. Please make sure that the floppy was not write-protected, and that you put it in the first drive. Try another floppy if the problem persists." nessage. (Just to be sure, I tried, and the boot floppy doesn't boot. ::laughs:: ) I also checked Ctrl-Alt-F3, and it has the same messages as before, when it didn't write anything to the disk, and just failed at creating a filesystem.

-Mark