Re: mouse not working

Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. wrote:

Hi,

I am an ex windose user on RedHat at the moment. I installed woody as
triple boot on a p120 48m ram 8g hdd. I went with the defaults during the
install but I am unable to get gpm working. What I mean is that though ps
shows gpm running, the cursor does not work. It does work under RH. I
mostly work in the console.

I ran gpmconfig and tried all sorts of combinations with zilch results. It
is an old three button mouse of Micromate brand. I had the same problem
some months ago when I had installed an older version of debian and had
then removed debian after some time. This time I intend to stick with it
and get my mouse working.

what do I need to do to get my mouse working in the console ?

thanks,

Sharukh
I assume this is a serial mouse. Which "COM" port is it plugged into?
ttyS0 = Com1 in DOS/Windows
ttyS1 = Com2
ttyS2 = Com3
ttyS3 = Com4

I suggest you use either COM1 or COM2. Make sure that port is enabled in the computer's BIOS.

So, assuming your mouse is on COM1, you'd tell gpmconfig that your mouse is on /dev/ttyS0. For now, just use "bare" as the protocol. You should now have some mouse movement. If it's erratic, that means you probably need to try a different protocol.

Also, on the bottom of the mouse may be a switch to switch modes. You might want to take that into consideration.