Re: diald problem

I had a somewhat similar problem some time ago, I don't remember the
exact details now so I'm not sure I'm talking about the same issue.

When you upgrade your 2.2.x kernel to a 2.4.x one, you must upgrade
many packages in order to keep them all working OK, this is documented
in /Docs in the kernel source, CHANGES or README, IIRC. For example,
pppd must be > 2.4.

Be sure to upgrade all that packages as documented and try again.

Good luck !!!

--
Daniel Toffetti     ---     'There is no spoon...' - The Matrix
Running Debian Sid version 3.0 with Linux 2.4.13 i686